30 June, 2010

Skating

I used to do a lot of skating, both figure and dance, and I miss it a lot.  There are rinks here but I've never felt that inclined to go for fear of a crap experience and getting put off it entirely.  Today we went with my friend Steph and her two kids and it was so much fun!  Hazel took to it like a duck to water (or a Canadian to ice?) and had a grin plastered on her face the whole time.  I was a bit wobbly, and had to exchange my hockey-style skates for figure skates after the first turn around the rink, and the blades were freshly sharpened which made for some fun, but by the end I was moving around much more easily and getting some of my confidence back.  I managed to keep two little girls upright for one lap, and then just Hazel, so I'm obviously fairly steady.  Boy I'd like to have my own skates here!  I do have some back in Edmonton but I doubt they'd fit me anymore.  But I might look into picking some up when we're back for Christmas.  The funny thing about being in the arena is that it was pretty much just like an arena in Edmonton, and Steph tells me just like the ones in Edinburgh.  I guess there's only so many ways you can build an arena!  Hazel's desperate to go back and I think I am too - though I think I might have a hot bath tonight to try and stave off a bit of the stiffness I'm sure I'll have tomorrow :)

Skating

Look at me! look at me! I'm going backwards!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of fun! Wish we had a rink in Welly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! looks so fun. I've been meaning to go for ages. maybe in the holidays. although, lots of work on so maybe one day after the holidays....we could make it a playdate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I have 3 or 4 days after the holidays until Toby starts school! I'm sure we'll pull something off.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails