04 February, 2010

Crayon and wax paper hearts

I came across this idea on the Wee Wonderfuls blog and boy it took me back! I remember doing things like this when I was a kid. It seemed like a good project for Hazel and I to do, she loves anything with lots of colours as long as those colours are pink. The instructions are over at Martha Stewart and they're dead easy to do, if a little messy!

We did a whole bunch a couple weeks ago and then they sat around and sat around until I put them up yesterday. I really wanted to do a stylish display like the MSL one but our hearts weren't quite as...perfect as hers and I think they look better like this (plus it was quicker than tying them all up separately!). They're just strung together with the sewing machine.

Wax paper and crayon hearts

They look faaahbulous in the kitchen window in the morning, with the sun pouring though them

Wax paper and crayon hearts


I also tried sewing them in vertical strings and it's quite effective although completely impossible to photograph effectively as a group because they're so long!

Wax paper and crayon hearts

By the end I was getting quite involved in the colour placement and amounts of shavings, the best way to iron and press and how to fold the edges so you minimise the bubbles. Of course, by that time Hazel had wandered off, she wasn't that interested in doing the green and blue ones - pink and orange were her favourites (and mine!).

Wax paper and crayon hearts

6 comments:

  1. love the hearts....thanks for reminding me about this gorgeous project! (and I am another mama who realises that she is getting ridiculously detail-driven with this *kid* craft about the same time she realises her project-colleagues have wandered away and are now engrossed in building a train track or somesuch wholly unrelated enterprise!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love 'em! They're so sweet and bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty, maybe I'll have to make some! :) I love Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolie, I'm glad I'm not the only mum like that! I like to think it's just that I have a longer attention span and therefore get left to finish up rather than I take ages and bore the child because I get into the 'attention to detail' mindset ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea and did this for my daughter's 3rd birthday party. Because it's so close to Valentine's, what better theme than hearts?
    I'll use more crayon shavings next time, and a lower setting on the iron, but they still came out very well. Thanks for the lovely photos and inspiration!

    Violette, Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look lovely :) i'm guessing if it was important to get them 'perfect' in shape could use a heart shaped punch like use for card crafting etc. I think the slight imperfection in shape is part of the joy of them tho.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails